Thursday, April 9, 2009

In the comments of the previous post, I see that someone asked about Obama's bow to the Saudi King. I must admit I am a few days behind the news cycle, but with a brief window to the internet, I got caught up on this and other matters buzzing like gnats around the POTUS's head. In case you missed it, here is a Ben Smith article that puts it in a nutshell.

Since I don't have time to fully comment, I'll simply say that either this was a huge faux pas (none of the the other world leaders did it, and no previous POTUS has shown such obeisance) or it was a not-s-subtle hint of Obama's willingness to do whatever it takes to show his desire to please and appease Muslims. One thing is for sure, it was not an attempt to equalize his height for better eye contact (as Obama's aid lamely suggests below).

"The White House is denying that the president bowed to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia at a G-20 meeting in London, a scene that drew criticism on the right and praise from some Arab outlets.

"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity..."
.


.
4170

3 comments:

Mrs. Geezerette said...

Good Friday seems an inappropriate day for me to be writing about political concerns. But I wanted to know what you think about the Black Caucus group that went down to Cuba to visit Castro and what glowing words they used in describing to others how great a guy Castro actually is. I was baffled.

On the Obama bow to the King, it would not have been as bad had the White House not denied that it was a bow. They must really think all of us out here in the hinterlands are stupid.

patronus incognitus said...

I know what you mean. I didn't do much news watching on Good Friday either.

There are those who study these things who put great significance to the act of "bending the knee" and bowing (if you look closely you'll see the knee bend, etc.) and they feel it is an act of some sort of subserviance yet to show itself. That the Arab/Muslim world is about to gain more control and more power than ever before and that Obama is readying himself to be in good standing in those circles.

I'm with you. Maybe he was nervous and botched the protocol, but don't say it didn't happen when it did.

Anonymous said...

I'm late coming in here...haven't been keeping up with the blogs so much lately.

You know that the press thinks "if" (and make that the White House press as well) they say something often enough we'll eventually believe it! BUT as you all say...when there's a camera present do NOT tell us tat what we're seeing isn't true! Come on (as that guy on 20/20 says) "Give me a break!!!"

I haven't been watching the news much these days neither....

WSL

website tracking statistics
Flat-Panel Television