Friday, July 10, 2009

Oh Be Careful Little Eyes What You See...
.
President Obama and France's President Nicolas Sarkozy were waiting to take their places in a picture with junior G8 delegates for a photo in L'Aquila, Italy, yesterday, July 9, 2009.
.
In fairness to both presidents: we live in an age when every frame of motion is captured by rapid-fire cameras. What may look bad in a single frame may be quite innocent on video.

It's possible that both men are just making sure that the young ladies are careful with that first step onto the stage. That's a doozy!
.
(Wouldn't it be awful if the president had said "That's a doozy!" [referring to the step] and it was picked up by an off-camera mike? But like I said, unless the video confirms that both men forgot the admonition of that old Sunday School Song "Oh, Be Careful," I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that this is not what it appears to be.)

Update 8:00AM Friday Morning: We now know that the girl is a teenager from Brazil. (Thank Heaven she was not wearing a black beret.) I'm still reserving judgment until I see video of this same moment. Anything can look bad in a snapshot. Remember a few months back we saw a photo of Obama "bowing" to a Saudi King when none else in the room did. He denied it. But when the video came out, it clearly was a bow or bent-knee curtsy. Likewise, the video will reveal the truth of what might be called "The Snapshot Heard 'Round the World."

I have not yet turned on the radio or TV this morning, but I predict that the talk of the day--if this story has legs (as they say in journalism)--will not be about whether or not the peek happened. The act itself will be minimized to water-cooler talk about how everybody does it, "look don't touch" is okay, etc. It will be laughingly swept under the rug by the media boys and girls and late-night jokesters in Clintonesque fashion (If the snapshot were of George W. Bush there'd be no end to it even if the video proved his innocence!)

If that's the case, working women beware. Just when you thought you were "equal," the president will have inadvertently made ogling younger models of "the weaker sex" acceptable again.

So far, the "boys will be boys" tone has come through in the articles already printed in some parts of the world. Apparently, the bum story does have legs: I hope it's cleared up as the day goes on.

Article One: "Oh là là, President Checks Out Bum"
Article Two: "Quello sguardo "indiscreto" di Obama" (which I think means "Off-guard indiscretion of Obama")
Article Three: "Tail to the Chief"

Friday Night Update: ABC did Obama a favor and showed the video that I presumed would surface, and in this case... President Obama seems to have passed the test that former President Clinton [and French President Sarkozy] failed. As I originally said, with these new cameras that let the paparazzi take countless snapshots per second, a photo can catch a misleading and or unflattering fragment of time. See video here.
5185

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My oh my!! The "Be Careful Little Eyes" is now put to song by a contemporary Christian singer and I have been moved to tears by that song as the words are so, so true!! So well put for this piece.

Obama aside...anyone in a high office should be beyond reproach in all their ways. Should be, is the emphasis here. You are sooo right about a video being what will tell the "full story". My parentage always said, when in public (for sure) be aware of behaviour so you won't be compromised (or words along that line). When will these "powers that be" stop being so arrogant to think they can get away with "what-ever"??? (as in Clinton and Black Beret) The story is still unfolding with Obama...I dare-say.
WSL

patronus incognitus said...

WSL,
I was happy to see that the video looks much more like he is concerned about the step and helping deligates on and off the dias.
But you are right. I assumed the media would give this a Clinton wink. As the second update clarifies, ABC showed the video and this time it helped Obama. The bowing to the Saudi king was a different story.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...right after viewing your post I saw the video on the internet. WHEW for him!!!

The bowing leaves one to pause though. Are you familiar with Joel Rosenburg?? He's an expert on the Middle East, an author and more. Google his name and visit his website. His information(and books) are compelling!! He's my new favorite author!
WSL

patronus incognitus said...

WSL,
I am familiar with Joel Rosenburg. I have not read his books but I do get emails from him. Much of what I was going to attempt talking about here (back when I first opened this web site) he has addressed in similar ways... so I didn't do it here. Interesting stuff!

Anonymous said...

He's becoming more well-known in some circles, at least. Have heard him interviewed on FOTF and he was part of a conference maybe back in March or April in SoCal that was webcast as well. I saw the last couple of hours (it was day-long) of it and wished I'd devoted my time to more. It was compelling stuff.

Maybe you should share some of his thoughts here!!

Good "talking" with you......
WSL

patronus incognitus said...

WSL,
It's been a very busy week for me, and I missed this last note until now.

He is on a roll with his books, beginning with his first big "fictional" novel that was released the day before the towers fell. Uncanny!

I don't know if any other conservatives feel this way, but for several months, I come home from work and rather than turn on the news and watch the latest, I just skip it. It all seems so predictable (or should I say predicted?) that I can hardly stand to watch it unfold.

I know we always complain about "gridlock" in D.C., but in a way, it is gridlock that helps us prevent a lot of stupid things from happening; it is gridlock that thwarts "change" that is not for the better. The problem right now is there is no gridlock. Obama and his liberal hacks are free to force their agenda on the country even as his rating plummet. In fact, I think it is because of his falling numbers that they will act with all the more urgency. As I said a few posts ago, "Get it done who cares if we get it right." But some of these changes are irreversible and will change the direction of the dominos he is putting into place.

I may develop this comment into a post, but for now... I'm on summer shut down from the depressing news.

Always good talking to you, too. Enjoy the Wisconsin summer. It's a beautiful week in Michigan!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful here as well..in Wisconsin! So wish you were on FB! (smile) Communicating incognito is a bit daunting--now and then anyway. On to read you latest post!!
WSL

website tracking statistics
Flat-Panel Television