Thursday, March 5, 2009

There's Something Happening Here...

What it is Ain't Exactly Clear...

Two days ago, Prime Minister Gordon Brown spoke to a joint session of congress. There is an earnest optimism in his plea for the U.S (whom he calls the “indispensable nation”) to "seize the moment." I am including this portion of his speech, not because the hopeful tone is not welcome in these uncertain times, but because they underscore the global nature of the uncertainty and the need for a leader of unprecedented global appeal and charisma to step up and "save the day."

Like no other time in world history, their seems to be an immanent yearning for all nations to unite and march lock-step by the billions behind the man of their hopes. It is the global nature of this readiness to follow that is historic. Not until recent years could such a person, if he did exist, have the technological means to address virtually the entire world at the same time. I wonder who that person will be? It would take a leader who has both the prominence and the "blank slate" persona that would allow this diverse world to project its disjointed ideals upon a man and say "He's the one"? Hmmmmmm....



The title of this post, for what it's worth, comes from that hit from the Sixties, but I suspect that song's warning may play out quite differently next time around.
.

2 comments:

Mrs. Geezerette said...

Are you implying what I think you are implying? If so, I hope you are wrong.

I don't want to seem nitpicky, but something that has been bugging me for a long time is the way Obama looks above the crowd when he is giving a speech. Have you noticed that? Have you noticed how he tips his chin up and looks out above the crowd? Maybe he has been told to take that posture, because it conveys confidence and leadership. It comes off to me as arrogance.

Something else. Wherever did Obama get the idea that he was capable (had the necessary experience) of being President of the United States? I am so disappointed in him. I was hoping he would be different. It just seems like he and his self-assured cohorts got in there thinking they had all the answers and could work miracles, but what they are doing is dragging this country down.

Finally, Congress is going to debate the advantages of getting rid of the accounting method known as "mark to market." Finally! Gingrich and others have been calling for its temporary suspension for months. It is a way to increase on paper, anyway, the real estate assets of banks thus enabling them to be able to loan more money.

patronus incognitus said...

SQ,
You are astute. I am probably less certain about matters of eschatology than many of my cohorts. I hope my observations and questions are misguided, too.

I just can't believe my ears sometimes. If you wonder why there are not more frequent posts here. It is not for lack of material. I just can't keep up there is so much material! I do plan to write about what some people are watching for, and I think even those most resistant to "reading the times" will see why those who do find them fascinating.
Here is why you can take comfort that the implications are misguided: too many are seeing through him, and so far he seems bent on letting things as we know them collapse.

Have you ever thought of it this way? One way to "share the wealth is to take from the rich and give to poor." We're seeing that in nearly every decision he has made. But another way to "equalize" is to allow "wealth" as we know it to disappear. Who has something to lose each day Wall Street drops? The very people and system, his mentors (and probably him) have been harping against since the late Sixties. The more we as a nation are equalized and looking for "the one" to save the day and make things better again, the more we and according to Brown, the world is ripe for such a moment.

What's "new" about this perfect storm is the global nature of both the downturn and the general "fondness" toward the man they're all looking to. Another related fact that makes this unlike any previous time (WWII for instance) is that there is a Nation called Israel and it is at the center of attention. I have not read any of Joel Rosenberg's stuff about Ezekiel 38-39, but what I'm implying would seem to some like I have.

http://www.joelrosenberg.com/ezekiel.asp

I'm just looking at storm clouds. They may be in "shapes" that look like something they are not. Hearing Brown say in so many words, "Tell us what to do. We like you now more than ever." just got me to thinking. He is not talking about "congress." He is talking to congress about Obama.

If there is anything to the implications, it will only get more and more clear with time. Time will tell whether the storm clouds are playing tricks on us. Like all people I hope it blows over.

By the way, I haven't formed a solid enough opinion on much of this to be right or wrong, but like you, I hope those who have are wrong. I hope some signs of fondness for true capitalism do start to blossom and a victory on that "mark to market" issue would be a huge boost (that is of course if those in power want capitalism to rebound).

One last thought. I truly don't worry about any of this. We can use our voice and votes while we have them and leave the rest in God's hands.

website tracking statistics
Flat-Panel Television