Monday, March 16, 2009

Those Germans are Full of Beans!

.
I'm pretty sure this is not a joke.

"Not wanting to miss the boat, a German food company has now gotten into the act. Sprehe, a company that has all manner of frozen delicacies on offer, has come up with a new product it calls "Obama Fingers." Far from being real digits, though, the "fingers" in question are "tender, juicy pieces of chicken breast, coated and fried," as the product packaging claims."

Those funny Germans. What will they think of next? The company behind the product claims it is merely trying to pay homage to the popular president, but I'm afraid their product will fail like its many predecessors:

Who could forget Hitler Hams and Mussolini Alfredo back in the '40's? Or Nixon Nuggets in the 70's? Or Saddam Soda and Clinton Wings in the 90's? When will people learn that naming food after world leaders is as risky as tattooing your first date's name on your ring finger. Odds are you're going to regret it before the ink dries.

The author of the article says Americans will find racial overtones in the product name. Oh, Paleez! They said "fingers" not "toes." This product’s name is tasteless not but not racist. I can't believe some German marketing expert actually "thought it through." But this is one of many, many tacky things that will be done as the world "pays homage" or tries to cash in on the popular U.S. president.
I dare say they will all pail in comparison to the lampooning of President Bush that went without complaint for many years.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll go have a can of Bush’s Baked Beans.
[The products in paragraph three are fictitious, of course.]

3 comments:

DelorumRex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs. Geezerette said...

Wait..I am not a spammer. So don't delete me.

"Oh, Paleez! They said "fingers" not "toes."" This was the best line in the whole very funny article. Nice treat.

At first I read Omaha Fingers rather than Obama Fingers. I think I was overly influenced by the idea of Omaha Steaks that everyone has heard about.

patronus incognitus said...

SQ,
I won't delete you but the spammer is gone.

Yes, I've heard of Omaha Steaks. I wonder if a new insurance company will form called "Mutual of Obama"? It will be a Wild Kingdom indeed if that happens. (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

I was taken back by the tackiness of the German product but I really don't think they meant to be offensive. Who knows. It wouldn't be the first time they insulted a sitting president.

website tracking statistics
Flat-Panel Television