Saturday, September 12, 2009

I Missed the Tea Party

.
I wasn't at this tea party, but some DC officials have reported that two million people showed up to protest run-away government spending. My guess is it was half that number.

If today's tea party gets any mainstream coverage, I suspect the liberal pundits will focus only on the most outlandish of the signs and quotes of the day, but I dare say, if they cared to be accurate, the vast majority of all those who cared enough to show up at the capitol were decent, fair-minded people.

If one considers the hatred and venom spewed on President Bush (and Sarah Palin for that matter), the worst of the signs were probably far less profain, but I do wish those who make "shocking" posters would ask themselves if they think they are helping or hurting the tea-party cause when they go too far.

Looking ahead to 2010, it is the vastness and volume of a million voices--not the venom of the thoughtless few--that will get the attention of elected big spenders. (I decided to write on this positive story and not the unbelievable exposed corruption of ACORN.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't heard much (except on censervative programs) re: the WA tea party! I agree some of the signs were a bit over the top in taste. BUT I'm impressed with the number of people who attended! STILL, "they" aren't seeming to listen! There is to be another more local tea party in Milwaukee this Saturday. Some of my friends are considering attending. I've thought about it but wonder really if it would make a difference! I'm NOT somplacent...I've sent messages to the state representatives in WA (several). I feel I can be a patriot in other ways. "IF" they'd come to Madison, the state capital---I might be more anxious to attend. This is the seat of liberalism in this state!!!
What are you thinking you might do???
WSL

Anonymous said...

That should have read complacent! I'm typing w/o my glasses! :-/
WSL

.Tom Kapanka said...

WLS,
You never have to apologize about typos to me. I make them all the time.
I noticed tonight that I have been gritting my teeth for about three days straight. I really can't recall a time in my life when I have been more frustrated with the state of affairs. Between the ACORN news that the networks ignored for a week (but cannot ignore any longer without looking blind) and Jimmy Carter's accusation that the reason we oppose the pending Government take-over is because of race--absurd!--I just don't even know where to begin, but I do hope the light shines brighter than ever in these dark days.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy Carter..I've heard it's been stated is a racist! So the pot calling the kettle black seems a bit strange here. Also, purporting to be a Christian--what he's said about the Jews and Israel is really deplorable! I think the man is totally "out of touch" and doing more harm than good.
I hear you on gritting your teeth...it's really hard to hear (or not hear) what's going on. I'm on FB and get a Heritage Foundation update (or plural) daily and they're keeping me really up-to-date, along with the FoxNews site.
If you ever get a profile on FB...maybe we can really be "friends" there! LOL
WSL

website tracking statistics
Flat-Panel Television